Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ecuador

Kaya is now in Ecuador. She is going to Galapagos National Park today, and is very excited. She said it's a nice change after the bustling city of Copenhagen. Next, she will be going to Fiji, and can't wait.
I am busy practicing my flute, but I have been taken more and more interest in the piano and violin. At our school, we are required to take music, so Neela takes singing and plays the ekdara, Julie plays the drums, Rebecca sings, Ruthie plays violin and a little flute, I play flute and a little piano, Felicity plays guitar and sings a little, Gwen plays the harp mostly and violin sometimes, and Kaya played the drums. Julie was very reluctant to share her drum set, so Kaya decided to play the timpani. And she is very good at it! Ruthie was practicing a tarantella the other day on her violin, and I just listened, dazed by the material of the piece.
I sat down at the piano, and played the hardest piece I KNEW. It was the the famous Bach minuet that every pianist can play if they have been playing more than two years. I'm not very good. Srajana's friend E. can play Cat and Mouse by Aaron Copland. She just started, but she is at a flying speed! She says she needs to work on it at least the whole summer! Wow!
In the evening, I worked on my summer homework. It was to write a gavotte or tarantella. I decided to make a gavotte, because they are generally shorter, and easier to play, so they must be easier to write, right? But no! The notes float in my head easily, but I can't remember what the octaves and rhythms are at all! Oh-well.
Sonali

No comments:

Post a Comment