Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thoughts About a Play

 

My sister is doing a great job performing in a play, "Robin Hood".  So many people come and congratulate her! I'm stage crew with some other kids. It's pretty awesome, but I haven't acted in a play in about a year, and I'm excited to get back onstage. In the fall my school is putting on "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe". I don't really care what part I get, though I would like to be Susan or Lucy.


 I'm wondering what version of LWW my school is doing. I've looked at some. I really like when there is good historical background in plays, and one thing that bothers me about all the play versions is that very few include the whole bit about the blitz. Anyone who's read the Narnia series or watched the movies knows that the blitz plays a rather important part in the character development of all the Pevensies, particularly Edmund, since he goes without his father during the war and experiences trauma he tries to hide. This makes him irritable and annoying, but there is a reason why. Without the blitz, there isn't a whole lot of reason for the kids to be at the professor's house, and Edmund just seems like a jerk.

 One version, I think by Robinette, said that the children were "taking a trip to the countryside for a while" or something along the lines of that. What kind of parents would send their kids to a random professor's house in the country for just a weekend? Another version talked about the professor doing country visit trips for city children. This seemed a bit more feasible, but I feel like the blitz is the true background and is better for the story.

Just some musings,

Srujana

No comments:

Post a Comment